Two members of the public have died after a knifeman wearing a hoax suicide vest launched a terror attack on London Bridge.
The suspect was shot dead by police after he stabbed “a number” of people in central London. Two of those people died and three were taken to two London hospitals.
Counter-terror police have now taken over the investigation as Scotland Yard confirmed the incident was being treated as a terrorism.
Videos from the scene purported to show bystanders tackling the suspect to the ground, taking his knife and pinning him down before police intervened.
The London Mayor Sadiq Khan confirmed that some of those stabbed have been “seriously injured” as he applauded the “breathtaking heroism” of bystanders “who literally ran towards danger” not knowing what it was they were faced with.
The condition of all of those injured is unknown at this stage.
Boris Johnson cancelled plans in his constituency and returned to London to be briefed by Neil Basu, head of UK’s counter-terrorism, and Met Police’s chief Cressida Dick.
The Prime Minister called the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn on Friday evening regarding the attack.
He will receive further updates from security officials within the next hour to see what more has emerged since he met officials earlier in the evening.
The Government’s emergency committee Cobra will meet at 9.30pm, a Downing Street spokesman said. The Prime Minister is also understood to have called off his campaigning events for Saturday to concentrate on the response to Friday’s attack.
NHS England confirmed one of the three people taken to hospital remains in critical condition but is stable.
Simon Stevens, NHS chief executive, said: “Our heartfelt thanks go to everyone who responded to this incident, both the extraordinarily brave members of the public and our emergency responders.
“As the Met Police have confirmed, sadly two people have died in addition to the suspect. London Ambulance Service treated people at the scene and three were taken to hospital.
“We can confirm that one patient is critical but stable, a second person is in a stable condition and a third person has less serious injuries.
Thomas Gray, 24, wrestled the attacker to the floor before stamping on his wrist to release the knife from his hand, Izzy Lyons reports.
Mr Gray, who was driving his classic mini over London Bridge at the time is the attack, said the perpetrator had an eight inch knife in each hand.
“One thought was going through my mind – stop the dude. I’ve played rugby for most my life and the rule on and off the pitch is ‘one in, all in’.