The Federal Government on Tuesday made an oral application to withdraw the charge of illegal possession of firearms filed against the suspended governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele.
Director of Public Prosecutions at the Federal Ministry of Justice Mohammed Bakodo Abubakar who approached the federal high court in Ikoyi with the application said the withdrawal followed the result of further investigations.
He further disclosed that said fresh charges with 20 counts had been filed against Emefiele at the Federal High Court, Abuja.
Abubakar spoke with journalists after the day’s proceedings.
On July 25, Emefiele was arraigned on a two-count charge bordering on “illegal possession of firearms” at a federal high court in Ikoyi, Lagos.