FG Meets Labour Leaders As Nationwide Strike Begins

Minister of Labaour and Productivity, Mr. Simon Lalong

With different branches of unions under organised labour commencing on strike Tuesday morning, the minister of Labour, Employment and Productivity, Simon Lalong, convened a meeting with labour leaders at the headquarters of the ministry.

Frontline News Online gathered that leaders of the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress are expected at the meeting holding on Tuesday (today).

The labour unions had, on Monday, ordered their affiliates to withdraw their services nationwide from midnight on November 14, 2023.

TUC President, Festus Osifo, had announced the nationwide shut down this while addressing journalists in Abuja.

Osifo told journalists that the strike would remain until “government at all levels wake up to their responsibility.”

The organised labour comprising Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria, directed all affiliate unions of the two labour centres to implement the resolutions of the joint National Executive Council of TUC and NLC.

Osifo said, “We also stated that the area commander that led the police to carry out the brutalisation should be relieved of his duties and he should be prosecuted.

“Then, Chinaza, whom everybody knew that led the thugs should also be arrested and prosecuted. We have a list of our demands. We gave an ultimatum that initially expired Wednesday last week.

“But on the eve of that expiration, we held a joint session of the NLC and the TUC, we looked at it, we thought that as a responsible institution we should give an additional one week if the government would be responsive. In order to further draw the attention of the government, we had a picketing session last week.”

“But instead of the government coming out strongly, to condemn this criminality, instead of the government to seek and stand on the side of justice and truth, some people in government were running their mouths and making all kinds of statements.

“So, the two labour centres have resolved to stand firmly by the decision of the joint NEC that was held last week Tuesday that in 00:01 hours on 14th of November, we shall declare a nationwide strike. So, effective tomorrow or midnight today, a nationwide strike is going to commence”, he said.

“All affiliates of TUC, NLC; all State councils of the two centres have been mobilized adequately and this is going to be indefinite until governments at all levels wake up to their responsibilities. This is the decision of NEC of NLC and TUC that we are going to carry out to the latter!” he further said.

PBAT’s Oil and Gas Reforms

PBAT's Oil and Gas Reforms 2.3

NCC

NNPC Recruitment

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*