As the investigation into the death of the late singer Ilerioluwa Aloba, aka MohBad, continues, more details about his relationship with erstwhile label boss Afeeze Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley, have begun to emerge.
In an exclusive interview with social commentator Reno Omokri, Naira Marley addressed concerns and rumours before and after the demise of MohBad.
MohBad died on September 12, 2023, leaving behind a five-month-old son.
Before his untimely death, MohBad shared multiple clips of his battered body, where he claimed to have been attacked by men allegedly affiliated with Marlian Music, the record label owned by Naira Marley.
MohBad signed a record deal with Naira Marley’s label in 2019 and exited in 2022, following issues surrounding the deceased’s need for a change of manager.
Here are seven takeaways from Naira Marley’s interview with Omokri, released Wednesday, September 27.
(1) Naira Marley maintained his innocence in the circumstances that led to MohBad’s death. He added that he had been abroad since August 31, visiting family and had yet to return.
(2) The Marlian Music boss also addressed a now-viral clip of MohBad asking people to hold Marlian Music responsible should he lose his life.
Discussing the clip, Naira Marley stated that paranoia made the deceased create the video. He said MohBad made the footage shortly after officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency arrested some affiliates of the Marlian Music label.
He claimed he met with MohBad upon returning to Nigeria, and the deceased apologised for mentioning his name and that of the music label.
“When I got back, I met him, and he said he did not understand and apologised. I Have videos of me speaking with him,” Naira Marley stated.
(3) Naira Marley also alleged that MohBad was suicidal. He recounted a discussion with MohBad’s partner, who confirmed the singer was suicidal. According to Naira Marley, his troubles came mainly from his family.
“I was in America when his girl called me to tell me that he had locked himself in the toilet and attempted to kill himself.”
(4) Naira Marley also talked about MohBad’s mental health struggles, adding that the deceased’s parents were aware of it.
“He wanted to commit suicide again. I had to look out for him, so I tried finding out what was wrong with him so I could help, but he (MohBad) said only his parents knew what was wrong with him.
“I spoke to the parents, and they said they noticed he is not okay, but they need to take him somewhere for treatment.”
(5)Naira Marley also denied assaulting Mohbad. The artiste also confirmed his friendship with Samson Eletu, aka Sam Larry, also fingered in MohBad’s death.
(6) On Speculations that he receives royalties on MohBad’s records, Naira Marley denied this claim, saying he does not get paid for music released after the deceased departed from his label in 2022.
(7) Naira Marley also addressed rumours claiming he is responsible for DJ Splash’s ill health. According to the ‘Soapy’ crooner, this is a lie.
“DJ Splash was never signed to Marlian Music. He is not my DJ, and he got the name following a picture he took with me.
“When what happened to him, he was not at my house. I have no idea where all this is coming from. They are all lies.”